What is a Phytonutrient?
If you want to know where the REAL medicine is, let me introduce you to the phytonutrient. Also called phytochemicals, these are plant-derived compounds (“phyto” means “plant”) that have a lot of amazing properties. These include:
- The ability to remove free radicals in the body;
- Stopping inflammation in the vessels and organs;
- Improving the power of the cells in the immune system;
- Eliminating the oxidative damage in cells;
- Deactivating cancer causing agents.
In short, phytonutrients are why your mother always told you to eat your vegetables.
It is the phytochemicals that impart the bright colors in fruits and vegetables. The more colorful the plant, the more powerful the healing and medicinal properties. There are four exceptions to the color rule: mushrooms, garlic, onions and cauliflower. Although these plants lack vibrant colors, they have incredible anti-cancer and antioxidant properties.